Sunday, March 8, 2009

News Flash! Mark Leavitt impressed me

I was just at Sol Latino in Mudan Rd., and heard a not-often-heard Celtic, folk-rock music at The Great Talents of Changchun. It was fabulous.

Mark Leavitt, who I'm hoping is gonna call me up for a cup of espresso, played a swears-not-permitted-here evening to the delight of fans and new friends alike. But what I like most about him is he's a teacher like myself. Changchun Teacher's College but what he's teaching, ahhh ... perhaps he can answer you that himself. SoulIISoul, I asked Mark about a song (whose title is still a mystery right now) which he said was inspired by his sister. I added to this question, "I hope your sister isn't dead." That was the silliest "who said that?" of the night.

Mark is a friendly chap and I hope he has forgiven me for not wanting to continue the story about his sister's experience. Perhaps, when we're more of what we can call friends. We have similarities in style and playing the guitar, and there's (no) religion too. Sermon on the Mount, Mark. If I know more of your heart, I'd hug you openly, like I do with Alex, whose first friend we had in common is Pino Monorchi.

And just this very night ... it's two o'clock by my clock so I'll leave it to you at what time it is you want it to be ... Vincent invited me to be a Ten Thousand Beers (I wonder if he's already trademarked the name?), and I also found out that Ten Thousand Beers is Vincent and Vincent's friend (notice how it is with me and first names?). Still feeling privileged. Vincent is a fantastic entertainer. Well, maybe a musician ... and I must openly admit that he knows more songs to play than I do. Oh, yeah ... where was I invited?

We were doing a sound check at Sol Latino late this afternoon ... met Marjorie Jacobs (and Sergio) for the first time. Nice place Sol Latino; Marjorie gave us students' discount on the beers tonight. After the soundcheck (is that suppose to be two words or one?), Vincent said "let's drop over at Ah Fei's so we trod along Mudan Rd. (I decided to leave the car by Sol Latino). I can scratch at Ah Fei's but nope, the gates to his studio were closed. So what's next? ATM (another story, perhaps), Corner Cafe, wait for the wife then back to Sol Latino. Before I forget, Michael and Mignon were good company, and Alter is his usual self. Talisha is becoming quite a budding beauty, gotta take good care of yourself, girl. Gosh, I am so boring! Why don't I just go to bed and maybe I could get some good dreams from it.

Ohh, I had some nice rhythm and melody to go with the Chinese chants "Wo xiang ...", "Nie gei wo", "Wo bu zhi dao" and "Zi mo". I hope I'll be able to remember it tomorrow so I can "capture" it. Or, it's gonna be just another one-of-those-things that fade away in the ticks that tocks.

Here's what I feel. Though I may never play those that I had not put into notes, I'm OK with the idea that it came and it passed. Of course I feel bad about it. How could I share much this way? My wife's calling. Hang up the phone ... hanging up.

No comments:

Post a Comment